What is VOIP and how much does it cost?
A Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone system allows you to make phone calls through your broadband internet connection instead of a regular landline or a mobile network. It offers the same core service that a regular phone does, e.g., the ability to make, receive and manage telephone calls.
VoIP is £10* per month, which includes unlimited anytime calls to UK and Ireland fixed line and mobile numbers. We can also transfer your existing number to our service free of charge. Please contact our customer services team on 02890 993230 for more information.
*Excluding VAT for business customers
Can I keep my existing telephone number and handset?
Most modern handsets will work with our VoIP phone service. To connect your phone, it must be plugged into the Fibrus router using the adapter provided and be VoIP compatible. If in doubt, please refer to the manufacturer.
If you wish to retain your current phone number from your previous provider, please make sure your phone line is active during the switching process and that the details provided to Fibrus match the details with your previous provider (same name, address, postcode). Number porting takes between 7 and 12 working days from when your broadband has been installed.
Also please do not cancel your previous provider’s service until we have confirmed your number has been transferred. You may be sent a Letter of Authority (LOA), which should be electronically returned and signed. This grants us permission to switch your telephone number to Fibrus.
If you have a static IP and are using your own router, you will need to use a dedicated VoIP phone. We recommend a YEALINK W60P Cordless Phone.
How to connect VOIP handset to router?
Follow the guide for instructions to connect your VoIP phone handset to the Fibrus router. Click here to view the guide.
Why does my phone not ring when receiving calls?
There are four main reasons why this could happen
- Check to ensure the volume for the ringtone is enabled and turned up
- Ensure your handset is connected directly to the Fibrus router Tel1 port (leftmost grey port).
- Ensure you are using the correct cable that came with the handset
- This could be caused by the handset being designed for the old copper network, which was powered by the copper line. On modern VoIP systems, the handset must provide power to the ringer from its own power source
If you have tried all the above solutions and are still having issues, please contact our customer service team on 028 90993230 for support.
Is the service compatible with an emergency alarm?
Our service is currently not compatible with alarm systems.
Will my VOIP work if there is a power cut?
No. For VoIP to work there must be a working internet connection on the router. Therefore, in the event of a power cut, your phone line will not work, so if this happens, we recommend you use a mobile phone.
Note, Fibrus can also set up an emergency call divert in the event of a power cut. Please contact our customer services team on 028 90993230 to arrange which number you would like your calls to be diverted to.
Available Call Features
- Voicemail service is added to our phone line as standard. To access your messages dial (*20)
- Withhold number is added to our phone line as standard. To withhold your number dial (*90) followed by the number you are calling
- Call diverts: Please contact our customer services team on 02890 993230 to have this feature set up
How do I dial numbers?
- Calling UK landlines: use area code (028) + (contact number), e.g., (028) +(90993230)
- Calling UK mobiles numbers are as they appear, with no additional numbers required, e.g., 07512345678
- Calling abroad: e.g.., to call Ireland from United Kingdom, dial: 00-353-area code– (land phone number), and for mobiles dial: 00-353–(9 digit mobile number)