How to run a speed test
There are a couple of things you will need to do to get the best results. You will need to use a laptop or desktop to run the test, so if you are on an iPhone or iPad you should switch to a computer. We also advise that you:
- Turn off WIFI on your devices
- Close down any other windows or applications you have got open on your computer
- Turn off firewall or antivirus software – but don’t forget to turn them back on again when you are done
- Clear your browsing history
- Connect to your router using an ethernet connection (cat5e or above) and switch WIFI off on your computer. If the speed test results are okay when you are using the cable, it could be the WIFI that is causing the issues
Your results may also be impacted by
- Hardware limitations of the device running the speed test, for example iPhone 13 maximum 600Mb
- Type of connection to the router – cabled or wireless
- If the test is run on a wireless connection
- Other devices using the service at that time
Running the speed test
- Search https://www.nperf.com/en/ in your browser
- Press start speed test. The test will start and when it is done, it will show you your download and upload speeds
What do the results mean?
Download speed: The download speed is how much data your connection can receive data from the internet, for example when you are streaming Netflix.
Upload speed: The upload speed is how much data your connection can send data to the internet, for example sending an email.
Other things to think about
- Some devices will not be fully supported if they require specific ports to be opened
- CCTV, NEST devices and some VPN configurations are not supported by our network. If you require these types of services, we recommend a static IP add-on. There is an additional charge for this of £6 per month for residential customers and £5* per month for business customers. Please contact our team on 02890 993230 for more information