How to run a speed test
If you are having trouble with your broadband speed, you can run a test at the click of a button directly from your eero mobile app.
For customers without a smartphone, you can run a speed test speed test using https://www.nperf.com/en/.
There are a couple of things you will need to do to get the best results. You will need to use a laptop or desktop to run the test, so if you are on a phone or tablet you should switch to a computer. We also advise that you:
- Close any other windows or applications you have open on your computer.
- Turn off firewall or antivirus software – but don’t forget to turn them back on again when you are done.
- Clear your browsing history.
Your results may also be impacted by:
- Hardware limitations of the device running the speed test, for example iPhone 13 maximum 600Mb.
- Type of connection to the router – cabled or wireless.
- If the test is run on a wireless connection.
- Other devices using the service at that time.
Running the speed test:
Search https://www.nperf.com/en/ in your browser.
Press ‘start speed test’. The test will start and when it is done, it will show you your download and upload speeds.
What do the results mean?
Download speed: The download speed is how much data your connection can receive from the internet, for example when you are streaming Netflix.
Upload speed: The upload speed is how much data your connection can send to the internet, for example sending an email.
Other things to think about:
- Some devices will not be fully supported if they require specific ports to be opened.
- CCTV, some devices and some VPN configurations are not supported by our network. If you require these types of services, we recommend a static IP add-on.
Please note there is an additional charge for this of £5 per month for residential customers, and £5 (excluding VAT) per month for business customers. Contact our team on 028 9099 3230 for more information.
What is mesh Wi-Fi?
Where traditional Wi-Fi systems use boosters to amplify a signal, mesh Wi-Fi devices are placed around the home and work together to create a unified, wide-ranging Wi-Fi signal.
TrueMesh is eero technology that allows eero systems to adapt to customer’s usage and needs to optimise their connection.
eero mesh benefits include:
- Better Wi-Fi coverage.
- Faster Wi-Fi speeds.
- More connected devices at once without slowing down.
- Added safety, security, and reliability with easy over-the-air updates.